Many people who live in other states choose Florida as their vacation destination. So, if you're lucky enough to call the Sunshine State home, you know that there is a lot to see and do. You can choose between beaches, historical sites, great restaurants and a ton of theme parks. However, because much of Florida is spread out, you may find that you need a car in order to make the most of your Floridian status.
What happens if your credit is damaged?
If you are facing moderate to severe credit issues, you are not alone. There are plenty of people in Florida who have faced bankruptcy, foreclosure, repossession and other issues that have left them with a low credit score.
The Advantage of a Bad Credit Car Loan
Luckily, special financing is available for Florida car buyers who have poor credit. Working with a lender who is qualified to offer bad credit car loans is the best way to start getting your finances back on track. And our data at Drivers Lane indicates that the average age of Florida residents who apply for special financing is 39. This suggests that there are a significant number of families who need transportation, but they probably don't want to spend a ton of money on a vehicle.
Fortunately, there are plenty of great used cars out there that are both highly rated and affordable, and any of these can be purchased with a bad credit auto loan.
Affordable Vehicle Options
According to recent data, the following used cars are popular choices among bad credit car buyers in Florida for good reasons. These five vehicles are all priced below $15,000 (on average), have received favorable reviews and would be ideal for families who are on a limited budget.
- The 2012 Nissan Altima: This stylish midsize car comes standard with a four-cylinder engine that has been called "fairly powerful" by reviewers. The Altima has been praised for sporting a high-quality interior, but this vehicle may be better for smaller families because many critics claim that the backseat isn't terribly roomy. It does, however, get decent gas mileage; expect 23 mpg/city and 32 mpg/highway.
- The 2013 Hyundai Sonata: Here is another affordable midsize vehicle that provides a comfortable ride. The Sonata also offers excellent fuel economy, getting 24 mpg/city and 35 mpg/highway. And with impressive safety ratings, this is a great car for the average commuting family. You'll get plenty of power out of the four-cylinder engine, though some critics have complained that the Sonata is somewhat "noisy."
- The 2013 Chevrolet Impala: Need a larger car for a bigger family? This affordable large car can seat up to 6 passengers and has a large trunk to accommodate school bags, bicycles and sports equipment. And with a V6 engine, the Impala offers a rewarding driving experience. As far as gas mileage is concerned, it gets 18 mpg/city and 30 mpg/highway, which isn't bad considering the vehicle's size. Critics report that the interior is less than luxurious, but this may be of little concern to parents of children who are prone to spilling.
- The 2013 Hyundai Elantra: This vehicle is available in both hatchback and sedan versions, it offers an extra roomy cabin, and it gets incredibly good gas mileage to the tune of 28 mpg/city, 38 mpg/highway (the hatchback). For a smaller car, the Elantra has received admirable safety ratings. It also has "ample cargo space," strong brakes, and offers accurate steering. Do you have growing teenagers at home? The backseat in the Elantra is noted for having ample legroom.
- The 2013 Chrysler 200: This affordable midsize car gets okay gas mileage (20 mpg/city, 31 mpg/highway), so it's a good choice for families who don't have incredibly long commutes to work and/or school. It is praised for boasting a high-quality, comfortable interior and for having decent handling. Just be aware of the fact that the 200 has a smaller-than-average trunk, so it may not be the best vacation vehicle. That's okay, though. You're already in Florida.
Whichever vehicle you choose for your family, it's important to find the right lender. This will make all the difference when it comes to having the easiest possible car buying experience.
Financing for Florida Families
If you do have tarnished credit, the best way to find a qualified lender is to work with the right dealer, and Drivers Lane can connect you with a dealer in your area who can work with your situation. You may even be able to purchase your car with little or no money down.
Just fill out our fast, simple and secure online application to get started today.